PURPOSE OF THE POSITION
As a professional member of the University of Minnesota Rochester
(UMR), Department of Student Services, the One Stop Counselor position
requires in-depth understanding of academic records, registration,
financial aid, and student financial billing to support students’ recruitment,
retention, and graduation, as well as counsel on financial wellness. This
individual provides student advising on complex issues and problems
regarding student financial matters and academic records; handles
challenging behaviors and difficult situations that can surface when
speaking with students and parents about academic success and financial
matters; conducts critical analysis and professional judgement on financial
aid/student records appeals and waivers; utilizes critical thinking and
problem-solving skills; and, possesses excellent communications skills and
attention to detail.
The One Stop Counselor reports to the Registrar who reports to the Vice
Chancellor for Academic Affairs and Innovation.
- Master’s degree and two years’ experience after degree completion.
- Training or certification through the Association for Financial Counseling & Planning Education (AFCEPE) for Money Management Essentials.
- Knowledge of university, federal and state guidelines to make informed decisions when counseling students and parents in all areas: financial aid, scholarships, registration and enrollment, and student billing and accounts.
- Demonstrated commitment to UMR values: evidence-based decision making; diversity and inclusion; respect; human potential; and community.
- Ability to work in an innovative, collaborative, and sometimes ambiguous environment.
- Work independently, with guidance in only the most complex situations.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines, prioritize tasks, manage multiple projects, and take initiative, working independently without supervision.
- Ability to relate well with high school students and parents with strong interpersonal communication competency.
- Excellent public speaking.
- Excellent writing skills, including professionalism in composing emails.
- Application review will begin 11/29/21. Applications must be submitted online at humanresources.umn.edu/content/find-job.
- Search postings for Job Requisition #344210 for application instructions and links. Applicant must attach to the online application: cover letter, resume and diversity statement.
- To add required/additional documents, click on My Job Application, then My Cover Letters and Attachments.
- For more information contact email@example.com